Makes: 30 cookies
- 85 grams of butter (6 tablespoons) softened
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweet molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place butter in a large bowl and beat at medium speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Add molasses and egg – beat well
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stir until well blended.
- Divide the dough into two halves and wrap each portion in plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 30 minutes, remove from freezer
- Preheat oven to 180° C
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, and roll them in the remaining sugar.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on a greased baking tray
- Flatten the cookies to 1/2-inch thick disks. You can use the bottom of a glass or any other flat round surface to press them down.
- Bake at 180° C for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy