My husband and I recently got married at a bush lodge in an area called Dinokeng in South Africa. My theme was birds with a rustic feel, we wanted to keep it very simple. I decided to do all my own decor and commission only the flowers. My brother did the graphic design for the invites, menu’s etc. and his girlfriend sketched the most beautiful baobab tree for our guest book.
While planning the wedding I decided I wanted a candy table for the ‘thank you’ favour. Most of the guests were sleeping at the venue and it is always nice to have a midnight snack before going to bed. Because of my love for baking and the fact that I wanted the wedding to have a personal touch I decided that I was going to bake cookies. I contemplated which type to make, should it be chocolate chip (most peoples favorite) or ginger biscuits, I just couldn’t decide. I asked my fiance which cookies he thought I should make and he didn’t hesitate to tell me that the white chocolate and cranberry cookies were the way to go. Two nights before our wedding my matron of honour and I baked cookies for 100 people. She has a family to take care of so she was baking in her kitchen and I was baking in mine. Throughout the evening we were sending pictures of what the batches looked like and how many we had made so far, it was quite fun but tiring!
The wedding was amazing, it was so relaxed and full of fun! The cookies went down a treat and I got compliments all round and tons of requests for the recipe. I have added some photo’s of the wedding at the end of the recipe if you are interested.
Here it is finally! Sorry it took so long. Happy baking!
This is a very quick and easy recipe, once you have all the ingredients in-front of you, it takes no more than 10 minutes to get the cookies into the oven. Before baking always try and get the ingredients and utensils out before you start, it saves so much time.
Servings: 20 large / 40 small cookies
- 270g unsalted butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 160g soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 380g plain flower
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g dried cranberries
- 120g white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170° C (325° F) and line two baking trays with baking paper
- Cream together the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well
- Sift the flour, salt, cinnamon and bicarb of soda and then add to the creamed mixture
- Mix well until a dough forms, it is a bit sticky
- Add the cranberries and white chocolate chips. Make sure they are evenly spread throughout the dough.
- Roll the dough into balls (size is dependent on how big you want the cookies) and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Allow for 6 cookies per tray
- Bake the cookies for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Once ready, remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool
Make the full recipe and freeze half the dough for a rainy day when you feel like something sweet but don’t have the energy to bake.
OUR WEDDING – 23 NOVEMBER 2013