I recently bought an ice-cream machine and I’ve been dying to make a batch of my favourite frozen dessert. Being a healthy eater I thought let me try a healthier version first. It started out being a coconut vanilla ice-cream but then I found some pistachios in the cupboard and thought, why not?
I was very impressed with my new purchase, it made the ice-cream in less than 20 minutes. My husband was not as impressed when he tasted the “ice-cream” it wasn’t creamy enough. Not wanting to eat the entire batch myself I added some cream and the results were satisfactory. I am going to try it with coconut cream next time and hopefully that gives a creamy consistency. Another trick I’ve found in online recipes is using blended soaked cashews. I guess there are many hours of experimenting ahead with my new kitchen appliance. I’m extremely excited.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cream (optional – leave out for dairy free version)
- 30ml xylitol sugar water
- A few drops almond essence
- 5ml vanilla essence
- Drop of green food colouring
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
- Put the ice-cream machine bowl in the freezer 24 hours before making ice-cream.
- Mix all ingredients together.
Cool in fridge for a few hours.
- Take the pre-frozen ice-cream machine base out of freezer and use as per manufacturers instructions.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container.
- Take out 10 min before serving.