Being on holiday with the in-laws it was only fitting that I made my father in-laws favourite dessert.
Servings: 8 – 10 Slices
- 1 packet Tennis Biscuits
- 60g Butter
- 1 1/2 tins condense milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- Juice 3 lemons (150 ml)
- 4 large egg whites
- 150g castor sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F)
- Crush biscuits in a food processor till they resemble crumbs
- Melt the butter and fold into the biscuit crumbs
- Grease a pie dish and push the biscuit base into the greased dish
- Keep in the fridge while making the filling
- Mix the condense milk and lemon juice together
- Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl
- Add egg yolks to the condense milk mixture and pour it into the pie dish
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Whip the egg whites till slightly foamy
- Start slowly adding the sugar and beat the yolks until soft glossy peaks form.
- Remove the pie from the oven and reduce the heat to 150° C
- Top the pie with the firm meringue, decorate by swirling the meringue into peaks.
- Bake for a further 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving.