I was always hesitant to make pecan nut pie because I thought that it would be a complicated recipe. Anytime there was pastry involved in a dessert recipe I steered away. I could not have been more wrong, this is an easy recipe that takes very little time to prepare and is a delicious quick fix treat for any family lunch or dinner.
Servings: 8 – 10 Slices
Short Crust Pastry
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 55 grams chilled butter
- pinch salt
- 2 – 3 tbsp ice water
- 3 extra large eggs
- 57 grams butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 80ml syrup
- 1.5 cups toasted pecan nuts
Preheat the oven to 180° C
- Blend flour, salt and butter in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. If you do not have a food processor rub the flour, salt and butter between your fingers until they resemble breadcrumbs
- Once breadcrumbs are formed, slowly add the ice water until the pastry comes together
- Mould the pastry into a disk and wrap in cling film
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before rolling out
- After the pastry has chilled in the fridge for a few hours, roll it out on a lightly floured surface
- Press the pastry into a pie dish and pierce the base a few times with a fork
- Cover the pastry with wax wrap or baking paper and fill with beans, rice or baking beans
- Blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes then remove the beans and wax wrap and bake for a further 5 minutes uncovered
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl and slowly add the melted butter, then add the brown sugar, vanilla essence and golden syrup.
- You can either mix the pecan nuts in with the egg mixture or you can place them in the pie pastry and pour the mixture over them.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the pie is done. The pie is ready when it is firm but there is a slight jiggle in the centre. Don’t over bake.
Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream
For a ready to use pie casing, make the shortcut pastry in advance, press it into a pie dish or an aluminium pie dish and defrost the pastry the night before, keep in the fridge until you are ready to blind bake.